Saturday, April 25, 2009

Greek Tomato Salad

I love Greek or Italian food! This is one salad I could eat a few times a week. It is very light and a great way to use garden veggies. I have changed it up a bit at times by adding Greek Olives (not too many- they have a tart taste) instead of black and by adding zucchini chunks. If you are in a hurry and don't have time to chill for 1 hour, I have served it within 10-15 mins and it's been very tasty. Also, another quick option, is to use a Red Wine Vinaigrette or a Balsamic Vinaigrette for the dressing in place of the first two ingredients. I have done this often and it's just as good! If you don't like feta cheese, try some grated Parmesan or Ramona cheese. This is good as a side dish, but can also be used for a light lunch or dinner. It's especially nice on hot summer days when you want something cool. Serve with crusty Italian, French or sourdough bread, and you've gotta quick meal!


Greek Tomato Salad


FROM: Taste Of Home
SERVINGS: 5
CATEGORY: Salads

METHOD: Non-cook
TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling 1 hr
(optional)


Ingredients:

1/4 C. red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
(or substitute a pre-made vinaigrette)
2 Tbs. olive oil
(or substitute a pre-made vinaigrette)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/8 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 C. thinly sliced red onion, separated into rings
(I use whatever onion I have on hand,& not so much)
1/2 C. coarsely chopped green pepper
4 med. tomatoes, each cut into 8 wedges ( Better to have firm tomatoes, seeded)

6 med. pitted whole ripe black olives, halved
(I use about half a can or more-we love olives!)
3 Tbs. crumbled feta cheese (I use more! =))

Directions:
In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, oil, oregano, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Add red onion and green pepper; stir to coat. Stir in tomatoes, olives and cheese. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (Can be less) Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 5 servings.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

3 comments:

Sarah said...

The blog looks great, Laura!! You can add "Good Blog Creator" to your long list of other things you do well, too! =p lol! I will let you know if I get a chance to try any of these....they look yummy!

Sarah said...

P.S.
I love the blog picture! Very cool!! =)

Lost in FWA said...

LOL!
You're too kind Sarah! =) I think I went with bright colors cause I am soooo tired of winter! =) Yeah, I've had fun finding cool pics online for the blog and recipes. Hey, whenever you (or anyone else) trys out these recipes, be sure to leave comments about it on that recipes post! That way folks can read comments pertaining to each individual one. Remember, I am looking for you alls recipes too...and I'm gonna keep pestering you until I get'em! =)